Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall...the season for soup!


I forgot to take a photo of our soup so here is a photo via Google


It's already been established...I LOVE FALL!  I love boots, scarves, leaves turning, cool weather, open windows and basically everything fall has to offer.

One of my favorite things about fall is soup. There are SO many options when it comes to soup!  On top of that, I can cook them ALL in my crockpot.  If you know me, you know that makes me one happy lady!

One of my family's favorites is Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup. Even my  4 year old and 20 month old gobble it down! This is one of those recipes my family asks for again and again. It is great to use up leftover chicken. If you won't get to make soup in a few days, shred it and stick it in the freezer, this recipe works great to just dump that frozen chicken in and let it go. 

So without further ado....


Chicken Taco Soup

4 cups shred chicken
2 cans Ro-Tel (we like the lime and cilantro flavor but regular is fine)
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans of corn (undrained)
1 onion, chopped
32 oz low sodium chicken broth (I add or reduce as needed, you can always add water)
2 Tbsp minced garlic (or 1.5 Tbsp of granulated garlic)
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp dried cilantro (I add fresh if I have it)
A good squeeze of lime juice

If you prefer or are short on time, you can use a Taco Seasoning packet or your own homemade taco seasoning (see Recipes page for the recipe I use)

Dump it all in the crockpot, cook on low 8-9 hours or high 6-7 hours.  I like to start mine on high and turn down later.  This soup gets better the longer it cooks!

Add sour cream, cheese, avocado and tortilla chips when serving for an extra dose of goodness!

Happy Fall!

Jenna





No comments:

Post a Comment